Scraps of Darkness April Kit Layout

Did you ever have a layout that you feel was tortured?  What I mean is a lo that just doesn't want to come together, or no matter what you do you don't like it?  Well, that's how I feel about this one!!  I had so many re-starts on it, I just about gave up.  Finally, I got it to where I felt it was passable, but not one of my best pieces.  I guess you can say I learned a lot in the process.  Boy, it was painful, especially when you are under a deadline. 

So here is my youngest Grandson, Cameron, taken about 3 years ago at Homer, Alaska. I love this picture for several reasons, he has his shoes off and one sock, it shows how our beaches really look, you can see the mountains in the distance, and he looks adorable in the picture. 

I started the layout with 2 G45 papers, ripping the top paper on angles at the top and bottom of the paper.  I stamped, stenciled, misted the background and hated it.  So, I covered it with gesso and cheesecloth to try to lighted it up. 

I tore up 3 different G45 papers to create the photo mats,  and also tore up 3 papers for the right side of the photo.

At the top right side of the lo I glued more giant rick-rack between the paper layers.  I used the little sentiment card that was included in the Kaisercraft Die Cuts included in the Elements Add On. 

I created a flower cluster at the bottom left side using flowers from the Main Kit and Floral Add On.  I started using some twigs I picked up at the local craft store.  I tucked in some sea shells to make it look "beachy". 

At the bottom left side of the lo I tucked in a little flower and used the Kaisercraft Die Cuts from the Elements Add On "Love". 

At the bottom left side of the lo I tucked in a little flower and used the Kaisercraft Die Cuts from the Elements Add On "Love". 

I found some beautiful sea glass chips at the local craft store and thought they would look really neat on a layout.  So, I adhered a bunch in various places on the layout. 

I also added some little seed beads.

The wave chipboard is the first Blue Fern chipboard I received.  I used gesso and Stickles to give it a little sparkle.

Finally I used 2 pieces of rope which I glued around the edges.  I just thought the lo needed a little something to border it.

Like I said earlier this was not an easy lo, but I hope you enjoyed following my process.  That's all for me today.  If you are interested in purchasing our kits you can find them at

Bye for now!